Wednesday, August 19, 2009

More funny/interesting North Carolina experiences:
-you can buy pepper spray at the license branch here. (Well, at the plates one, which is separate from the one you have to go to get your driver's license). Yes, I'll take my plates, and one of the pepper spray, I said. "Sure, sweetie, what color do you want?" Um, blue, I said. Score. Now I am ferocious or something.

-I went to that license branch wearing a black flip flop and a tan one and didn't realize this until I went to my bank for what was I think the 5th time in 3 days because of all the paperwork and accounts I've been doing, like I think I should be hanging out with them on the weekends or something now, and the lady was like "Ms. Jantzen, did you mean to put on two different shoes today? Is that maybe an Indiana thing?" Nope... Not even she believed that one... I had two pairs of flip flops under my desk here and just put my feet into them and never looked down.

-You can buy alcohol on Sunday. Laura-Lee and I wanted a bottle of wine with dinner and asked first at customer service, where I think they thought we were crazy. "We're from out of state," I said.

-Today one of the orientation events was an optional safety/security seminar. Since I come from a college where you could leave your door standing open and your laptop there while you wander the campus alone at 3am, I figured it wouldn't hurt to get some education. There were only probably 12 of us there, and 4 of us were BME students. What is it about us biomedical engineers that made us either more afraid or more into safety? Yes, there are a lot of us, but 4 of 12 is still disproportionately high. Not sure what this says about us but will keep my feelers out.

-The Engineering Dept. apparently puts on a happy hour with free beer from 4-6 every Friday at the cafe in the bottom of our building. What a fun idea! Beer or no beer, it's just nice that they do things to get all the engineering programs together, both students and professors. There are rumors that budget cutbacks might affect this nice service this year, and I hope that doesn't happen (what unfortunate timing on my part that would be).

No comments: